Saturday, March 26, 2005

Art Watch: Tim Hawkinson

Whitney until May 29



For larger version of "Emotor":
http://www.kellysalerno.com/art21/images/image36.jpg



Mirror is a self-portrait in which Hawkinson represented not how he imagined he looked, but exactly how his image appeared in a mirror. 'I produced my reflection in three dimensions by sculpting my self-image onto the surface of a mirror exactly as I saw it reflected,' writes Hawkinson. 'The result was a three-foot-tall 'gnome,' seemingly grotesque and distorted but, from my original perspective, quite accurate. I made four of the figures, cut them into small cubes, and spliced the cubes together to 'grow' the figure to life size. This accounts for its somewhat digitized appearance.'

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This guy is awesome. I wish we could go see the show before it comes down. I heard (from a reliable source) that it's great.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home